According to the Harvard Medical School, sleep deprivation or poor sleep is one of the leading causes of both short term and long term health issues. It can lead to a lack of judgment, inability to concentrate, poor performance at workplace, poor memory and even cardiovascular problems. It is also a leading cause of obesity. Moreover, WebMd even goes to the extent of saying that sleep deprivation can make you dumb!
No matter the reason, the inability to sleep properly is becoming increasingly common, and so is the use of sleeping pills. However, the use of such drugs has serious side effects, and hence it aggravates the problem. People aware of these repercussions are switching to a safe remedy - the use of the best eye mask for sleeping. Fortunately, it provides a completely safe and sound sleep, unlike many other sleep solutions. Not only do people use it to fall asleep quickly but also to soothe their eyes (and mind) by providing them a down time.
Best Eye Mask For Sleeping
**Below, you'll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon. best eye mask for sleeping
1. Factors To Consider While Buying An Eye Mask
Although it seems very simple to purchase an eye mask, there are a lot of factors to be considered. And, if you don't give these factors due consideration, you can easily fall prey to wrong purchase especially if you are a first-time buyer. After all, investing in an eye mask means investing in your physical and mental health. So make a decision only after looking at the following factors: best eye mask for sleeping
Complete Blockage of Light
If an eye mask doesn’t completely block the light, it isn’t fulfilling the purpose it's made for in first place. When you don't have control over the source of light, you need an eye mask. For instance, when you are traveling or sharing a room with others who stay up late at night. So make sure you buy an eye mask which does allow you to block the light for a peaceful sleep completely. best eye mask for sleeping
Moreover, for those who want to sleep at day time after long shifts at night, it’s important to consider. The masks which allow even the slightest light would not provide you with a night-like atmosphere which you crave for.
The mask which doesn’t fit perfectly on your face cannot block light completely and can rather be a complete nuisance. Every person has different facial features and a mask that fits well for one may not fit well for others. It's important that you try the mask before you purchase it. best eye mask for sleeping
If the shape of the mask is such that it leaves gaps around the nose, it will allow some light. For example, the risk with a plain design mask is that it will leave gaps. If you prefer 100% blockage of light, you may consider a contoured eye mask over plain designs. As it fits over the cheeks, covering nose completely.
Compromising on comfort means, you are compromising on sleep itself. A mask that is too tight or loose or needs to be adjusted will interfere with your sleep. Therefore, make sure you buy one that is comfortable to wear. best eye mask for sleeping
Your sleep position is another decisive factor when choosing the best eye mask for sleeping. For instance, if you’re a side sleeper or sleep on your stomach, you may not prefer a nose bridge design. Similarly, a mask that gets displaced will not suit side sleepers while it might be best for a back sleeper. Back sleepers may have a wider choice and may choose from any mask. However, when it comes to sleeping on the side or stomach, you need to make a careful decision.
Nature of Use
The purpose of which you are going to use an eye mask decides the design and quality you are going to purchase. If you are simply going to use it for downtime, giving some rest to your eyes after long hours at the laptop, you may do acceptably well with 98% light blockage. But, if you are trying to sleep at day time or while traveling, you would need 100% blockage of light.
Similarly, those who have puffy eyes due to an allergy or other reasons would go for the one that is the most soothing even if it compromises a bit on other not-so-wanted features.
Similarly, there’s an increasing trend of using eye masks for a power nap during the long working hours. The reason behind it is mentioned by Sleep Foundation. They say that a power nap of around half an hour can greatly improve the alertness and performance at work.
Doesn’t Make You Sweat
Weather conditions are different in different areas, and these cannot be overlooked. You would certainly not want an eye mask that makes you sweat a lot and doesn’t allow the air. While for those using it in a cold climate, a thick eye mask may add to the comfort. For travelers who keep traveling, a moderately thick fabric or even a thinner one will suit.
Allows Eyelid Movement
For some people, a bit of pressure exerted on the eyes is soothing and helps them fall asleep in peace. While for others, it is rather uncomfortable and annoying. Whichever category you belong to, you still need to leave some room for eyelid movement.
Although, its extent may vary. If you belong to the second category, you may consider the masks with cavities which leave room for eyelid movement and yet completely block the light. This design allows free movement of eyelids and lets you ‘see the darkness.’ If that’s too much for you, a moderate eyelid movement will be offered by contoured or the nose bridge designs. However, if you feel comfortable with the pressure exerted on eyes, a plain design would do with a tight fit.
Allergies to some types of fabric are very common today. The DermNet New Zealand acknowledges how the use of certain chemicals in making fabrics can lead to allergic reactions in many people.
If you are allergic to a specific fabric type, you would certainly not want to aggravate it. Moreover, it will leave unwanted marks on your face. Hence, keep this factor in mind while buying an eye mask. You would certainly not want to go for a silk eye mask in this case.
For people who have allergies, masks made of bamboo are also available in the market. They are hypoallergenic by nature and don't get excessively warm.
2. 05 Best Sleep Masks To Consider
To help you narrow down your choice, I'm giving here a list of most popular eye masks from different categories with their positives and negatives.
Lewis N Clark Comfort Eye Mask
Lewis N Clark Comfort Eye Mask is one of the best sleep masks available in the market due to its simplicity of design and better blockage of light.
More features to consider: best eye mask for sleeping
- When it comes to the basic purpose of an eye mask i.e. blocking light, you can count on this mask without the slightest doubt
- Secondly, it's one of the most comfortable eye masks to wear that's available on the market. It's soft, and fluffy fabric is comfortable to wear
- Moreover, Lewis N Clark Eye Mask is lightweight and doesn’t put extra pressure on eyelids
- Besides being great in its functionality, this eye mask is also cool when it comes to appearance. It's available in different colors
- Moreover, it's washable by handIt's made of high-quality cotton material
- Besides, it comes with a soft, adjustable elastic strap
- When it comes to the price, Lewis N Clark eye mask is available at a reasonable price and offers value for money
- Although the varieties of this mask available with soft padding are very comfortable to wear, they can cause sweating in warmer climates.
Drift to Sleep Adjustable Contoured Eye Mask
If you're looking for the soundest sleep ever, the sleep mask by Drift to Sleep is certainly your pick. It's hard to find a competitor that matches the quality of this eye mask.
More features to consider:
- The eye mask by Drift To Sleep is not simply an eye mask. Rather, it comes in a complete sleep kit along with a pair of earplugs to block the noise as well
- The smooth fabric of the eye mask is very comfortable to wear
- It's suitable for those who are looking for complete blockage of light
- Moreover, the mask leaves a reasonable room for the eyelids so you can blink comfortably
- The soft adjustable straps are useful for a good fit
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee which shows the confidence of the manufacturer
- No doubt, this sleep mask does offer everything you need for a peaceful sleep, but when it comes to price, it's comparatively expensive than other sleep masks available in the market.
IMAK Eye Pillow
IMAK Eye Pillow is best for those who care about their eyes and are looking for something beyond a peaceful sleep. It's a highly sophisticated eye mask based on compressive principal to soothe your eyes and the muscles around it.
More features to consider:
- The IMAK Eye Pillow is beyond a simple eye mask for sleeping. You can consider it something nearer to a medicated eye mask. It not only provides good sleep but also relieves the pain of your eyes and surrounding muscles
- The acupressure exerted by this eye pillow along with the cooling effect produced by it is a great remedy for problems like a migraine, sinus pain, and consistent headache
- The universal size of IMAK Eye Pillow fits almost every face
- Moreover, since this mask is a bit thicker and heavier, you may find it comforting if you are soothed by a mild pressure on your eyes
- Another great feature of this eye mask is that it has ergo beads which feel like gently massaging your muscles and provides the relaxation you need
- Although its made of a thick material and is made into a pillow, it is unlikely that it would cause sweating. This is because it rather provides a cooling effect and stays considerably cool for at least half an hour.
- It's a contoured eye mask which leaves room for your eyes to blink
- Moreover, it is a highly suitable mask for those with puffy eyes due to allergies or tiredness after long working hours
- There's no doubt that IMAK EYE Pillow is an all in one eye mask, however, if you are among those who are irritated by the pressure on the eyes, this mask may not be a good pick for you
- It's comparatively costly than other brands
The Bedtime Bliss Contoured Eye Mask
Here's another state of the art remedy for restless sleep unmatched by others in the market. It's among the best one when it comes to the category of contoured eye masks.
More features to consider:
- The Bedtime Bliss eye mask comes with a pair of soft ear plugs to help you get an overall peaceful sleep by blocking both the light and the noise
- It's a lightweight mask and is soft on your skin to give you the comfort and feeling of natural sleep without letting you know that you are wearing an eye mask
- It allows your eyes to blink
- Moreover, it is great for blocking the light from sun and lamps alike. It's equally effective for both the daytime sleep and nighttime sleep as well as for traveling
- Although it's not always the case with contoured category, however, this eye mask fits well with almost every face type and size
- Although Bedtime Bliss is very comfortable to wear if you are among those who benefit from a light, soothing pressure on their eyes to fall asleep, this lightweight eye mask may not be your pick.
Earth Therapeutics Eye Mask
Earth Therapeutics is a unique eye mask which gives you a scented sleep experience. Let’s look at its pros and cons:
More features to consider:
- If you are the one who is fascinated by nature’s soothing fragrances, the Earth Therapeutics will give you a unique sleep experience. It gives off a sweet aroma of peppermint and valerian as if you are breathing it. This aromatherapy helps you fall asleep in peace
- It's lightweight, and small size is comfortable to wear
- Moreover, it is good at blocking light although it's small in size and lightweight.
- Besides, if you care about your looks while you are asleep, the Earth Therapeutics is a handsome looking cool eye mask
- The fabric of this eye mask is a combination of silk and cotton which is gentle on the skin
- Last but not the least, it doesn’t get easily displaced and is equally good for side sleepers, back sleepers as well as for those sleeping on their back
- The Earth Therapeutics is a strict no to those people who are allergic to some aromas
- Moreover, it isn’t a pick for those who are allergic to silk because its fabric is a mixture of silk and cotton
A few bucks spent on a good eye mask for sleeping can go a long way in keeping you healthy and improves your overall performance. Not only does a sleep mask help you fall asleep in the first place but also improves the quality of sleep. The HelpGuide stresses the fact that the quality of sleep is critical for your health. A deep, undisturbed sleep is essential for repairing your body and get the energy you need for the whole day.
Keeping these facts in view, I would recommend you to invest in the best eye mask for yourself even if you have to spend a few extra bucks for it. I would go for the Bedtime Bliss closely followed by Lewis and Clark Comfort Eye Mask. Considering its light weight, comfort, blockage of light and the ability to adjust to almost every sleep position, it's the winner of my review round up.
I hope this review is of help to you by letting you narrow down your choices. Do let us know which one's your pick and how it works for you.